6.07.2011

herz voller gold, taschen voller luft...

This just in.  With less than five days to go, I am over-budget by approximately €300.  I was hoping to get by on what I’d left in my Irish bank account after the semester was over and for the first two and a half weeks, I was doing pretty darn well.  Luckily, during those times when I'm waiting on a train with no Internet, I have created a budget that I keep updated partly because it gives me something to do and partly because I thought it would be useful to see where I'd gone wrong in spending my money.  (Even when I was under budget, the outlook for remaining so was bleak.  I have always been an impulse buyer.)  Turns out, it's a two way street.

it's a purple, money-spending kind of day

You can go wrong spending money.  For example, my first meal in Bern cost almost as much as four days worth of food in Munich once I worked in all the exchange rates.  It was one of those "3,70 CHF for a take away container full of food!!!" that only tells you in the small print that it's per #grams of food.  Let me tell you, I shoved a crapton of vegetarian goodness into that take-away container and I paid for it...literally.  (Turns out Switzerland is just expensive.)  I also bought a day pass for Bern's public transportation, not knowing that I would really only need one journey.  Another example, I accidentally purchased two bus tickets in Florence instead of just one.  Those are euros I will never get back.

But, something I realized as I was trying to figure out how on earth I had managed to spend so much money while I'm going hungry 80% of the time in an attempt to make up for the souvenirs I've bought, spending money when you're traveling is what pays.  Dresden, for example, was really nice.  Most of what I wanted to see was free, so all I really needed was a Wochenkarte for the trams and a ticket to Stadt Wehlen for my hiking trip and I was set.  Even the single room I splurged on was, in all honesty, a better deal than some hostel dorm rooms (only €118.80 for four nights).  I found a Lidl and could live off €8.70 worth of food plus a few snacks.  But different places mean different prices, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

radler, salat, käsespätzle

As I grew more comfortable/confident speaking German, it got easier to go out and do other things that are important to experiencing a culture.  I bought strawberries from a woman at a market and she talked to me about their origin and how sometimes they press down on each other but that doesn't mean they've gone bad and how they're organic so I don't have to wash them.  An experience well worth the €3,90 I paid for the strawberries.  I ate dinner in a Biergarten in Munich and had ice cream overlooking Salzburg.  For €8,50 I took a German-language tour through a castle I'd never seen before and understood almost every word and got to experience the best special exhibit on Ludwig II's life.  The list goes on.  Sure, I could have skipped out on things like the €85 Cinque Terra tour and done it for myself, but lunch wouldn't have been provided so I probably wouldn't have eaten it, and I wouldn't have met fellow travelers or known where to go.

eis

Even my tacky souvenirs.  Not all of them are tacky, okay?  And, through these little trinkets, I get to share my experience with the people I love.  So, do I regret the 22--CHF I spent on dinner last night?  Hell yes.  But can I live with it?  Of course.  Learning is a part of life.  So often nowadays you have to pay to learn things, but I guess Newton got it right in more ways than just physics when he came up with the rule that for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction.  I take money out of my pocket, but for every piece of paper and little metal coin that leaves my hands, I gain a new experience, and I'm okay with that.

Needless to say, though, my birthday could not come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Good attitude! I'm kinda obsessed with your EuroTrip. Sooo jealous!

    Also when (not if! haha) you come to visit me your food and stuff will be covered so not tooo much $$$$. Though you do still have to somehow get in range of car pick up from my house =O

    Martin

    ReplyDelete